We Help Good People,In Bad Situations, Every Day
Memphis Carjacking Defense Attorneys
Aggressive Defense for Serious Charges in Southaven
Carjacking refers to the act of motor vehicle theft. The crime of carjacking is more serious than general theft because carjacking involves the use of force, intimidation, or a deadly weapon.
Whether you have been accused of carjacking or of general motor vehicle theft, you should take the charges seriously as convictions of these crimes can lead to severe, life-altering penalties. You will want a skilled carjacking defense attorney in Memphis on your side to help protect your rights and fight for your freedom. At the Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A., we work tirelessly to provide the aggressive representation you need.
Learn more about how we can help by scheduling a free consultation with us. Call (901) 878-5434 today.
The Specific Charges
Depending on the severity of the crime and whether any force or weaponry was used, you may be charged with theft or with carjacking. You could also be charged with joyriding if you took someone’s vehicle without their consent but without the intention of depriving the owner of their property rights.
Motor vehicle theft can be charged as a:
- Class A misdemeanor: For property valued at $500 or less; punishable by a jail sentence of up to 11 months and fines up to $2,500
- Class E felony: For property valued between $500 and $1,000; punishable by jail time from one to six years and fines up to $3,000
- Class D felony: For property valued between $1,000 and $10,000; punishable by jail time of two to 12 years and fines up to $5,000
- Class C felony: For property valued between $10,000 and $60,000; punishable by a jail sentence of three to 15 years and fines up to $10,000
- Class B felony: For property valued between $60,000 and $250,000; punishable by jail time of eight to 30 years and fines up to $25,000
Carjacking is considered the most severe form of motor vehicle theft and is charged as a Class B felony.
Your Next Steps
If you have been accused of carjacking or car theft, you can count on the team at the Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A. Our carjacking defense attorneys in Memphis are dedicated to fighting for clients and helping them obtain favorable results.
Give us a call at (901) 878-5434 or contact us online to request a free consultation.
Over 35 Years of Criminal Defense Experience
Rated as Top Attorneys for Criminal Defense
Our Lead Attorney has a 10.0 "Superb" Avvo Rating
2013-2018 Avvo Clients' Choice Award for Criminal Defense