We Help Good People,In Bad Situations, Every Day
Memphis Drug Distribution Lawyer
Defending Against Drug Distribution Charges in Tennessee
At The Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A., our mission is to provide legal support and expertise for those who find themselves entangled in legal issues related to drug distribution. Our Memphis drug distribution attorneys are dedicated to representing our clients' rights, offering insightful counsel, and crafting effective legal strategies tailored to individual cases.
Call The Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A. today at (901) 878-5434 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug distribution attorney in Memphis.
What is Drug Distribution?
Drug distribution is a serious criminal offense that involves the manufacturing, sale, transportation, or possession with the intent to distribute controlled substances. In Tennessee, drug distribution can encompass various substances, including illegal drugs like cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, and even prescription medications, when they are obtained and distributed unlawfully.
Drug distribution cases can be categorized into various levels of severity, depending on factors like the type and quantity of drugs involved, prior criminal records, and whether minors were involved. It is crucial to understand that even minor drug distribution offenses can result in severe penalties, making it imperative to secure legal representation.
What are the Penalties for Drug Distribution in Tennessee?
The penalties for drug distribution in Tennessee are stringent, with the severity of punishment depending on the type and quantity of drugs involved. Here's a general overview of the potential consequences:
- Felony Conviction: Drug distribution charges in Tennessee are typically classified as felonies. The degree of the felony can range from a Class E felony for lower-level offenses to a Class A felony for more serious drug distribution crimes. Class A felonies carry the harshest penalties.
- Prison Time: If convicted, individuals may face substantial prison sentences, which can range from a few years to life imprisonment for the most severe cases. The length of the sentence is often determined by factors such as the quantity of drugs and prior criminal history.
- Fines: Convictions for drug distribution may result in significant fines. These fines can range from thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the specifics of the case.
- Probation and Parole: In some cases, the court may impose probation or parole as part of the sentence. Violating the terms of probation or parole can lead to more severe consequences.
- Criminal Record: A drug distribution conviction will result in a permanent criminal record, which can have long-lasting and detrimental effects on employment, housing, and other aspects of life.
- Asset Forfeiture: The government may seize assets believed to be connected to the drug distribution operation, such as vehicles or property, which can be a significant financial blow.
- Loss of Rights: Conviction of a drug distribution offense can result in the loss of certain civil rights, including the right to vote and possess firearms.
Defenses Against Drug Distribution Charges
The Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A. can help you explore defenses tailored to your specific case:
- Lack of Intent: In some cases, the prosecution may struggle to prove that you had the intent to distribute drugs. We can argue that you possessed the drugs for personal use, which may result in reduced charges.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If the evidence was obtained through an illegal search or seizure, it may be inadmissible in court. We can assess the circumstances of your case to identify potential violations of your Fourth Amendment rights.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence and witness testimonies is another common defense strategy. We can meticulously review the case to identify weaknesses in the prosecution's case.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement officers or informants coerced you into committing a drug distribution offense that you wouldn't have otherwise committed, entrapment may be a viable defense.
- Chain of Custody: We can scrutinize the chain of custody of the seized drugs to ensure that the evidence has not been tampered with or mishandled.
Contact Our Memphis Drug Distribution Attorney Today
At The Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A., we understand the complexities and challenges that come with drug distribution cases. Our Memphis drug distribution lawyer is committed to protecting your rights and building a robust defense strategy tailored to your unique situation. Don't face these charges alone; we are here to provide the legal expertise and support you need during this challenging time.
Contact The Claiborne Ferguson Law Firm, P.A. today to get started with our Memphis drug distribution lawyer.
Over 35 Years of Criminal Defense Experience
Rated as Top Attorneys for Criminal Defense
Our Lead Attorney has a 10.0 "Superb" Avvo Rating
2013-2018 Avvo Clients' Choice Award for Criminal Defense